Definition of Vocabulary
- It represents the breadth (size) and depth (level) of all words we know — those we use, recognize, and respond to in meaningful communications.
- It has components which are the macro skills: listening, speaking,reading, and writing.
- Reading vocabulary is the richest.
This is the some key concepts:
- Children come to school with a thousand of vocabulary words.
- Children experiment with unfamiliar words.
- As children’s vocabulary increases, their comprehension also develops.
- Vocabulary knowledge is developmental.
- Students have to hear the word, say them, manipulate them. and play with them (Blachowicz & Fisher, 2005)
Here are some examples:
- Say lanky.
- Again, say lanky.
- Lanky sounds like laki in Filipino. It also starts with L like large.
- Lanky is similar to laki and large.
- Students learn 10-12 conceptually related words in a period of time.
Indicators of Vocabulary Knowledge
- Use of a word in speech and in writing
- Recognition of the word in speech and in print
- Correct use of the word based on meaning or context
- Correct pronunciation of the word
I hope you learned something in this discussion.
Thank you for visiting my website!